You have to jailbreak your iOS device for Cydia app. People who often buy jailbroken iPhone or iPad, they notice Cydia app but they never bother to look into it. I believe this guide will be helpful for beginners to learn how to use Cydia.
Before proceeding with this tutorial, just check if your iOS device is jailbroken or now. There are many benefits of jailbreaking your iPhone and one of them is you will be able to install many tweaks from Cydia, which will supercharge your iPhone and iPad. There are many tweaks which are not available from App store and Cydia users can install those tweaks instantly.
How to use Cydia for Beginners:
If you are not sure if your iPhone has Cydia or not, just searchlook out for this pretty image on the right and tap on it. It will take time to load only for the first time and you need not be connected to Internet in order to use Cydia. Cydia has free as well as paid tweaks (e.g Screen display recorder & My Wi).
Once you open Cydia, it will start reloading and updating the Cydia sources which may take little time depending upon your network speed. Once everything is loaded, your Cydia home screen will look like this:
On the footer, you see 5 sections, which I will explain it here:
- Cydia: Homepage
- Section : Browse tweaks in the respective sections.
- Changes: New tweaks and any upgrade is available for previously installed tweaks is shown here.
- Manage: Add or remove sources.
- Search: And most usable search feature to find any tweaks.
Now, you will need manage account feature only when you buy any app from Cydia. Though, for this tutorial sake, lets keep it aside.
Using Cydia Sections:
So, I will start showing you every section one by one.
- Sections: This is part, where you will find all the tweaks and themes categorized in particular section. This makes browsing tweaks under one section easier. For example, themes or ringtones.
- Changes: This section provides two purposes. If you have previously installed tweaks from Cydia, it shows tweak upgrade available if any as well as all new tweaks added to Cydia date wise. By this, you can be able to find the latest version of any Cydia tweak.
- Manage section: If you are planning to do many cool things with Cydia, you need add many new sources. For example, Installous or Sara can be installed using particular repo and so on. Also, you can un-install earlier installed tweaks using manage section.
- Search: I hope it needs no explanation!!
I hope this beginner Cydia tutorial, will at least help you to get started. In case, if you have any query regarding the same feel free to ask us via comment.